Only the chimney from the Cumberland Battery and the man-made lagoon remain from this once thriving mining town. Cumberland was born when gold was discovered in 1872. The first prospecting claim was registered in that same year. It grew to be one of the major gold producers in the Etheridge goldfield. The Cumberland Company dammed nearby Cumberland Creek to create a permanent water supply for the township. The mine and tramway closed in 1897 and the town population numbers declined; the town is now a ghost town. There is a rest area which can be used by overnight campers. The myriad of birdlife attracts keen birdwatchers to this pretty lagoon.